Welcome to the Loose Leaf Security archives, where you can find suggestions for where to get started with Loose Leaf Security and a complete list of our episodes and reference materials by topic.
New to Loose Leaf Security and wondering where to get started?
- If you're not currently using a password manager, we'd recommend starting with "Securing your online account passwords" (May 29, 2018) and "Using a password manager effectively" (March 19, 2019). We discuss the value of unique, strong passwords and how you can easily manage them by using a password manager.
- If you've already put your passwords in a password manager, but haven't started using two-factor authentication, check out "Two-factor authentication and account recovery" (June 12, 2018).
- If you're interested in a neat history lesson, listen to "The history of the Web and an introduction to browser security" (July 24, 2018). This episode isn't just about history, though - understanding the web broswer security model and its limitations will help you make safer choices while surfing the web.
- If you have a specific topic in mind that isn't on this list, check out the complete list of episodes and reference materials we've released by topic below.
Episodes and reference materials by topic
- "Securing your online account passwords", which covers strong passwords and password managers (May 29, 2018)
- "Two-factor authentication and account recovery" (June 12, 2018)
- "Using a password manager effectively" (March 20, 2019)
- "Two-factor tidying", how to stay on top of the wide variety of two-factor methods available for your accounts and tips for keeping track of your second factors with your password manager (May 16, 2019)
- "Password managers: how they should work and when they didn't", which discusses the security records of specific password managers and their extensions - very helpful for choosing a password manager! (June 27, 2019)
- Our password manager reference page, which is handy for sending to your friends who have yet to choose a password manager!
- Our two-factor authentication zine, free to print and distribute! (August 31, 2018)
- Our two-factor authentication quick reference page, which is handy for sending to your friends who want to get up to speed on two-factor fast!
Laptop and desktop computer security
- "Physical attacks to your computers and disk encryption", which includes a discussion of how to securely erase files (October 18, 2018)
- "Backups", the invaluable tool that lets you easily and confidently wipe a compromised computer and get back to work quickly (October 30, 2018)
- "Malware, antivirus, and safe downloads" (November 20, 2018)
- "Built-in dangers: physical ports, OS defaults, and remote access", which covers Thunderbolt and USB threats, bloatware, crash reporting, telemetry, and choosing the right level of remote access (December 13, 2018)
- "Securing your phone", an overview of phone security that doesn't get into platform specifics (June 26, 2018)
- "Comparing Android and iOS security", a deep dive into the specific security concerns of the two most popular mobile platforms (July 10, 2018)
- "The history of the Web and an introduction to browser security" (July 24, 2018)
- "Web security continued: cookies, plugins, and extensions", including unwanted content blockers a.k.a. ad blockers (August 7, 2018)
- "Keeping your web browsing private", which covers HTTPS and private browsing modes (August 21, 2018)
- "Credit and debit card security" (January 29, 2019)
- "Checks, mobile banking, cash transfer apps, and a bit more on credit cards" (February 19, 2019)
Other privacy concerns
Privacy is a really common concern that comes up in nearly all our episodes, but some of our episodes are devoted to specific privacy concerns.
- "Digital photos and privacy" (September 18, 2018)
Fun stories from our own security adventures and really juicy news stories that weren't quite useful enough for the regular security news segment