Welcome to the Loose Leaf Security archives, where you can find suggestions for where to get started with Loose Leaf Security and a complete list of our episodes, articles, and resources by topic.
New to Loose Leaf Security and wondering where to get started?
- If you're not currently using a password manager, we'd recommend starting with "Securing your online account passwords" (May 29, 2018) and "Using a password manager effectively" (March 19, 2019). We discuss the value of unique, strong passwords and how you can easily manage them by using a password manager.
- If you've already put your passwords in a password manager, but haven't started using two-factor authentication, check out "Two-factor authentication and account recovery" (June 12, 2018).
- If you're interested in a neat history lesson, listen to "The history of the Web and an introduction to browser security" (July 24, 2018). This episode isn't just about history, though - understanding the web browser security model and its limitations will help you make safer choices while surfing the web.
- If you have a specific topic in mind that isn't on this list, check out the complete list of episodes, articles, and resources we've released by topic below.
Episodes, articles, and resources by topic
- "Securing your online account passwords", which covers strong passwords and password managers (May 29, 2018)
- "Two-factor authentication and account recovery" (June 12, 2018)
- "Using a password manager effectively" (March 20, 2019)
- "Two-factor tidying", how to stay on top of the wide variety of two-factor methods available for your accounts and tips for keeping track of your second factors with your password manager (May 16, 2019)
- "Password managers: how they should work and when they didn't", which discusses the security records of specific password managers and their extensions - very helpful for choosing a password manager! (June 27, 2019)
- Our password manager reference page, which is handy for sending to your friends who have yet to choose a password manager!
- Our two-factor authentication zine, free to print and distribute! (August 31, 2018)
- Our two-factor authentication quick reference page, which is handy for sending to your friends who want to get up to speed on two-factor fast!
- Instagram 'Unusual Login Attempt' verification loop failures (August 9, 2019)
Laptop and desktop computer security
- "Physical attacks to your computers and disk encryption", which includes a discussion of how to securely erase files (October 18, 2018)
- "Backups", the invaluable tool that lets you easily and confidently wipe a compromised computer and get back to work quickly (October 30, 2018)
- "Malware, antivirus, and safe downloads" (November 20, 2018)
- "Built-in dangers: physical ports, OS defaults, and remote access", which covers Thunderbolt and USB threats, bloatware, crash reporting, telemetry, and choosing the right level of remote access (December 13, 2018)
- "Securing your phone", an overview of phone security that doesn't get into platform specifics (June 26, 2018)
- "Comparing Android and iOS security", a deep dive into the specific security concerns of the two most popular mobile platforms (July 10, 2018)
- "The history of the Web and an introduction to browser security" (July 24, 2018)
- "Web security continued: cookies, plugins, and extensions", including unwanted content blockers a.k.a. ad blockers (August 7, 2018)
- "Keeping your web browsing private", which covers HTTPS and private browsing modes (August 21, 2018)
- "Credit and debit card security" (January 29, 2019)
- "Checks, mobile banking, cash transfer apps, and a bit more on credit cards" (February 19, 2019)
Other privacy concerns
Privacy is a really common concern that comes up in nearly all our episodes, but some of our episodes are devoted to specific privacy concerns.
Fun stories from our own security adventures and really juicy news stories that weren't quite useful enough for the regular security news segment